A New Team Member Point-Of-View

As the end of the Spring 2012 term was coming to an end, I knew I was going to need a summer job. My Intro-to-Industry (I2I) internship here at the UNH-IOL was going to finish a few weeks before the end of the semester and the experience was a blast. I thought, why not apply for work at a place where I’ve been learning so much and having a good time? So, that’s what I did.

My name is Dan McGloughlin and I am going to be a sophomore this fall in the Information Technology (IT) Department. After hearing about the IOL in my freshman seminar, I became interested in what the lab was doing. I signed up for the I2I internship and participated during the spring 2012 semester. After that, I applied and was accepted into the Digital Home Networking (DHN) Consortium, which is one of the groups I visited during my I2I internship.

During my short time working at the lab, I’ve gained great insight into what the industry is actually like. In the DHN Consortium, we test and verify products that meet the DLNA's certification requirements. I've already learned a lot about the different protocols, how various devices talk over the wire, and much, much more. I know that I will only continue to expand my knowledge base on different technical aspects of networking.

The biggest thing I want to get out of my career at the UNH-IOL is to apply what I learn in Professor Radim Bartos’ summer Networking Class through hands-on involvement with DLNA and the other technologies tested here. There are many different and interesting opportunities available, and I want to make the most of my experience at the lab.

Daniel McGloughlin, Research and Development