We have developed a series of custom testing tools as part of our dedication to performing the most comprehensive Ethernet testing in the industry. These tools allow for testing at lower layers than most commercially available tools and are available for use in your own testing labs.
We utilized a development board provided by Xilinx and a Logic Analyzer provided by Agilent as the base for this testing platform. The software that is used to control the BitPhyer 10G was created at the lab utilizing LabVIEW. The BitPhyer 10G testing platform is used for testing IEEE 802.3 Clause 49 10GBASE-R devices.
As the BitPhyer 10G allows for the transmission and reception of arbitrary 66-bit codes it is used to test the following in the 10 Gigabit Ethernet Testing Services:
- IEEE 802.3 Clause 4 MAC Conformance Testing
- IEEE 802.3 Clause 46 RS Conformance Testing
- IEEE 802.3 Clause 49 PCS Conformance Testing
The BitPhyer 10G allows for a level of control that goes beyond most other 64B/66B testing platforms and allows us to test portions of the standard, such as the Clause 49 PCS state diagrams and block encoding/decoding, that could not normally be tested. These tests are done utilizing custom vectors created at the lab. These vectors send specific sequences to devices under test (DUT) to determine whether or not they have implemented the standard correctly.
- 64B/66B encoding/decoding
- Ability to transmit and receive arbitrary 66bit codes
- Execute complex triggers on the received data
- Custom LabVIEW scripts and post processing
We developed BitPhyer to test the IEEE 802.3 MAC, RS, and Flow Control functions as well as both Clause 24 and 36 PCS on Ethernet devices. We utilized a Xilinx FPGA to create a more flexible GMII/MII based test system. This system is used while performing tests for the Gigabit Ethernet Testing Services.
- Supports 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- Supports both Full and Half Duplex modes
- Ability to transmit arbitrary signals via the GMII or SFP cage on the test board
- Execute complex triggers on the received data
- Custom scripts and post processing
The Auto-Negotiation test tools are a combination of our custom Python Board Hardware and Labview based software. This Python board translates received signaling into logic values and transmits the information to Digital Input Output (DIO) cards installed in the testing stations which record timestamps to send to our software. The Python Board allows for both transmission and reception of Auto-Negotiation signaling. It is used to test all Clause 22, Clause 28, Clause 40, Clause 45, and Clause 55 copper Auto-Negotiation test suites. ANEG Main is able to infer when transmitted link signaling is occurring for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, and 10GBASE-T PMAs.
This tool can be used to measure timing and has the ability to zoom in on sections of the Auto-Negotiation exchanges to determine what a device is transmitting and how it is reacting to received signaling. To send signaling to a device, the same interface is used and signals can be created both Graphically and via a special scripting pseudo-code. Additionally, databases can be stored so that the user can create a set of standard test sequences.
- Custom hardware interface
- Custom Labview scripts and post processing
- DIO instrumentation control
- Files provided for Arbitrary Waveform Generators
Clause 40 PMA Test Tools
The Clause 40 PMA Test Tool is capable of testing conformance of 1000BASE-T devices to IEEE Std 802.3 ™-2008. The tool's main focus is analysis of the 1000BASE-T Physical Layer electrical specifications and receiver performance and is used in our Gigabit Ethernet Testing Services.
Our custom Matlab based software communicates with a variety of Test & Measurement equipment via a GPIB or Ethernet connection. Our software then processes the acquired waveforms to produce our results based on Algorithms developed at the UNH-IOL.
- Partially Automated Testing
- Transmitter electrical output specifications, different output templates
- Jitter Analysis
- Return Loss Testing
- Bit Error Rate Verification
100BASE-TX TP-PMD Test Tool
The PMD analysis solution, 100BASE-TX TP-PMD, is capable of testing conformance of 100BASE-TX devices to IEEE Std 802.3TM-2002. These tools are used within the Fast Ethernet and Power over Ethernet Testing Services for testing 100BASE-TX devices and their conformance to IEEE Std 802.3TM-2002 with reference to ANSI X3.263-1995. The tool's main focus is analysis of the 100BASE-TX Physical Layer Active Output Interface (AOI) as well as the Active Input Interface (AII).
Our custom Matlab based software communicates with a variety of Test & Measurement equipment via a GPIB or Ethernet connections. Our software then processes the acquired waveforms to produce our results based on Algorithms developed at the lab.
- Custom testing jigs
- Custom MATLAB scripts and post process analysis
- Supports Agilent Technologies 4395A Network Analyzer
- Supports Tektronix TDS7104 Digital Storage Oscilloscope
- Supports Tektronix AWG2041 Arbitrary Waveform Generator
- Supports Netcom Systems Smartbits 200